Recent Publications & Presentations
IFPA regularly publishes special reports and monographs on topics of importance to the foreign affairs and security studies communities. The Institute also publishes summary reports on conferences, workshops, special studies, and seminars held by the Institute. Following are all publications completed since 2015 . Please visit our Archived Publications page for a list of earlier materials.
Most publications are available for download at no charge. To order a publication that is not available for download, click on the Available for Purchase link to purchase the publication online through PayPal, or telephone IFPA directly at 617-492-2116 to request a publication. You can also go directly to the Order Publications page to view and select from the complete list of publications available for purchase (but not for download).
- National Security Update 5: The Trump 2018 Nuclear Posture Review
- February 2018, 9 pp
- National Security Update 1: The Trump Administration and Missile Defense
- June 2017
- National Security Update 2: A Two-Pronged Strategy to Counter the Electromagnetic Pulse Threat and Its Potential Impacts
- September 2017
- National Security Update 3: The 2018 NDAA, the Ballistic Missile Defense Review, and the New EMP Commission
- January 2018
- National Security Update 4: The Implications of China’s Actions in the South China Sea and U.S. Options
- February 2018
- Weighing the Consequences of China’s Control over the South China Sea
- Charles M. Perry, Bobby Andersen
- November 2017, 74 pp
This monograph, completed and published after the September 2017 death of principal investigator Charles Perry, details the findings of an 18-month project to research, analyze, and examine in depth the various consequences for the United States – and, to a somewhat lesser extent, for its regional allies and partner states – of varying degrees of Chinese control over the South China Sea.
- The U.S.-Japan-ROK Strategic Triangle & Maritime Security: Building Capacity in Northeast Asia and in the Broader Indo-Pacific Region
- Charles Perry and Bobby Andersen
- February 2017, 73 pp
This report summarizes key findings and policy recommendations developed by IFPA over the course of a two-year research and workshop project on the prospects for and future direction of U.S.-Japanese-South Korean maritime cooperation in the Indo-Pacific region.
- Missile Defense: Challenges and Opportunities for the Trump Administration
- Henry F. Cooper, Malcolm R. O’Neill, Robert L. Pfaltzgraff, Jr., and Rowland H. Worrell
- November 2016, 36 pp
This IFPA/Independent Working Group on Missile Defense white paper proposes the return to key elements of the Strategic Defensive Initiative (SDI) era, particularly to deploy space-based ballistic missile defense (BMD) systems, as part of an effective strategy to combat growing threats by rogue states or terrorists that have or may soon have the ability to conduct a high-altitude electromagnetic pulse (EMP) attack.
Conference & Workshop Reports
- Space-based Sensors: Missile Defense and More: Point Paper on the IFPA Capitol Hill Roundtable
- Institute for Foreign Policy Analysis, Inc.
- September 2015, 20 pp
This point paper summarizes the proceedings of the July 14, 2015, IFPA Capitol Hill roundtable, Space-based Sensors: Missile Defense and More, and expands on the presentations and discussion that took place.
- Symposium on New Dynamics in Japanese Security Policy: Summary Report
- July 2015, 65 pp
A report summarizing the proceedings and conclusions of a symposium sponsored by IFPA and the International Security Studies Program at the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, held on March 31, 2015, at the Fletcher School.